Tuesday, November 27, 2018

New Amsterdam S1E8

You are very lucky to be alive.
You know that, right?
Okay, tell me if any of these feel true for you.
Can't concentrate at school.
Chronic fatigue, but you can't sleep.
You feel like a failure despite your many accomplishments.
Feel hopeless.

I thought it was stress.

That's depression.
And millions of people suffer from it.

I have a lot of good things in my life.
I shouldn't have depression.

Yeah.
Depression doesn't work that way.
But the good news is it's highly treatable.

How?

Well, the first step is to ask for help.
I like to start with talk therapy.

What if my mom found out?Or my dad?
They'd think I was acting weak.

I think it's a good thing to talk to others about our problems.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Amy shouldn't have to suffer because her community is afraid of mental illness.

It is not about fear. It's about shame.

No, it's about stigma.

You have to understand that they are afraid of what others think.

Yeah, well, who cares what others think?

Look, we all want what's best for her, okay?
But we can't fight every cultural stigma in one day.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So then I will be lying to my mother. And to my father.

It's for your mental health.

She'll know.
And even if she doesn't say anything......
she'll judge me.

I can teach you some coping mechanisms.

She won't ......love me the same.
Is there a coping mechanism for that?


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

There must be a part of you that knows  that your daughter did not slip that
she tried to end her life today.
I know it's hard to accept.
When a child needs help, one may think, "I did a bad job as a parent"
One may wonder "Why I didn't see the signs sooner?"
Our children aren't perfect.
And why should they be?
We are not.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I know it sounds silly but the hardest part of every day is just getting out of bed.
I lay there thinking about all the things I have to get done.
I imagine it all in my mind.
And one by one, I fail at everything.
I don't finish my schoolwork.
I'm late for work.
I say the wrong thing at home, and then I think maybe I shouldn't even try.
So I lay there for a while......
All the time, wishing that I could just tell my mom......
How much pressure I feel to make her proud.

我不知道。
I want you to get better.

I'm sorry.
I need help.

We all need help.
宝贝。

~Things are gonna get easier~

No comments: